Re: Why dump/restore to upgrade? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Bierman
Subject Re: Why dump/restore to upgrade?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 9:56 PM -0500 2/7/02, mlw wrote:
>We all understand the reasons why one MUST dump and restore to upgrade to 7.2,
>but I'd like to make a general call to arms that this (or 7.3) should be the
>last release to require this.
>
>It doesn't look good. One should be able to upgrade in place, and even revert
>to an older version, if nessisary.
>
>What do you all think?

At the very least, wouldn't it be easy for pg to automate the existing process?
Say, dump/restore using textfiles in /tmp, and maybe even spit out a backup copy of the old database as a big tarball?

IMHO, most of the complaints about PostgreSQL revolve around initial setup and inital ease of use. Sure, none of those
issuesmatter once you're used to the system, but they wouldn't be difficult to fix either.

-pmb